Kyiv, Ukraine—The International Republican Institute (IRI) announces the arrival of the Institute’s international election observation delegation to observe Ukraine’s parliamentary elections on July 21, 2019.
“These elections represent another important step in the further development of Ukrainian democracy,” said IRI Regional Director for Eurasia Stephen Nix. “IRI’s election observation mission will be deploying across the country in order to ensure the integrity of the electoral process.”
The 35 short-term observers include senior IRI leadership, political experts and thought leaders. The delegation will be deployed throughout the country on Election Day. The following is the full list of delegates participating in IRI’s election observation mission:
- Victor Delage, Senior Research Fellow and Communications Officer, Foundation for Political Innovation;
- Walburga Habsburg Douglas, Board Member of the Jarl Hjalmarson Foundation and President of the Swedish Pan-Europa Union;
- Mike Dubke, Board Member of the Franklin Center for Public Policy Exchange and the Ripon Society and former White House Director of Communications;
- Peter Egardt, Chairman of the Jarl Hjalmarson Foundation and former Swedish Secretary of State:
- Antonia Ferrier, Partner at Definers Public Affairs, and former Staff Director, Senate Republican Communications Center;
- Mike Gonzalez, Senior Fellow, Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Institute for International Studies, Heritage Foundation;
- Steve Kim, Managing Partner at RFK Global PLLC;
- Shuvaloy Majumdar, Munk Senior Fellow for Foreign Policy at the Macdonald Laurier Institute and Global Director of Harper & Associates;
- Cliff May, Founder and President, Foundation for Defense of Democracies;
- Chief Judge John P. Morrissey, Maryland District Court;
- Senator Zach Nunn, State Senator, Iowa Legislature;
- Dominique Reynié, Executive Director, Foundation for Political Innovation;
- Daniel F. Runde, Senior Vice President, Center for Strategic and International Studies;
- Kelly Jane Torrance, Senior Editor, Washington Examiner; and
- Dana White, former Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs and Chief Pentagon Spokesperson for the Department of Defense and Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
IRI in Ukraine
IRI opened its first Ukrainian office in 1994. Today, our Ukraine program is the largest in the Eurasia division and one of the largest initiatives at IRI, conducting programs throughout the country to strengthen multiparty democracy, support local government reforms and the decentralization process, close the gap between politicians and constituents and empower the next generation of Ukrainian leaders.
Since its founding in 1983, IRI has monitored more than 220 elections in more than 59 countries, including Ukraine’s 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2012 and 2014 parliamentary elections and the 1999, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2019 presidential elections.
About the International Republican Institute
A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, the International Republican Institute (IRI) advances freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more responsive, strengthening transparent and accountable governance, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth. More information is available at www.iri.org.Top